Current:Home > ContactPentagon considering plea deals for defendants in 9/11 attacks -ProfitLogic
Pentagon considering plea deals for defendants in 9/11 attacks
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 11:31:48
The suspected mastermind of the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks that killed nearly 3,000 people could escape the death penalty —along with four of his accused plotters— under a plea agreement being considered, CBS News has learned.
The Pentagon sent a letter this week to families of 9/11 victims revealing plea deals are being considered in which the five men, including suspected mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, would "accept criminal responsibility for their actions and plead guilty....in exchange for not receiving the death penalty."
The letter generated fresh outrage in Kristen Breitweiser, whose husband died in the South Tower of the World Trade Center. She has waited years to see the five men face trial.
"It's more heartbroken," Breitweiser told CBS News. "...I thought I lived in the United States of America. I thought we were a nation based upon the rule of law. And obviously, that's turned out not to be the case."
The five 9/11 defendants were held by the CIA before being transferred to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, in 2006.
The prosecution of the defendants at Guantanamo Bay, which would be held in military tribunals, has been delayed for years, mainly complicated by the CIA's interrogation of the suspects that critics called "torture," and questions over whether the evidence extracted during those interrogations is admissible in court.
A defense lawyer for Ammar al-Baluchi, one of the accused plotters, told CBS News last year that a plea deal would end the impasse.
"He is willing to plead guilty, serve a long sentence at Guantanamo, in exchange for medical care for his torture, and taking the death penalty off the table," defense lawyer James Connell said in September 2022.
That doesn't satisfy Brad Blakeman, who lost his nephew Tommy Jurgen in the World Trade Center.
"We were told, and we were promised, that we would bring these people responsible to justice and we expect that to happen," Blakeman said.
If a plea deal goes ahead, and the 9/11 defendants get lengthy sentences, there's a law in place that prevents their transfer to U.S. soil and federal custody. That means the Guantanamo prison could remain open indefinitely.
Over the years, there have been proposals to move the trials from military tribunals to civilian court. However, that idea has faced strong resistance in Congress over concerns about security and the costs of moving defendants out of Guantanamo Bay.
— Catherine Herridge contributed to this report.
- In:
- Khalid Sheik Mohammed
- 9/11
Scott MacFarlane is a congressional correspondent for CBS News, reporting for all CBS News broadcasts and platforms.
TwitterveryGood! (386)
Related
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- News nonprofit sues ChatGPT maker OpenAI and Microsoft for ‘exploitative’ copyright infringement
- First officer is convicted of murder since Washington state law eased prosecution of police
- Maps show dengue fever risk areas as CDC warns of global case surge
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Ex-Uvalde school police chief Pete Arredondo indicted over deadly shooting
- NBA draft first round: Zach Edey, Spurs, France big winners; Trail Blazers (too) loaded
- Jackie Clarkson, longtime New Orleans politician and mother of actor Patricia Clarkson, dead at 88
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Ex-Uvalde school police chief Pete Arredondo indicted over deadly shooting
Ranking
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Which Hooters locations are closed? Our map shows over 40 shuttered restaurants nationwide
- Baltimore police officers face discipline over lackluster response to mass shooting
- Supreme Court strips SEC of key enforcement power to penalize fraud
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Arkansas panel awards Cherokee Nation license to build casino in state
- Reality show winner gets 10 years for enticing underage girl to cross state lines for sex
- Marijuana conviction in Maryland? Maybe there’s a job for you
Recommendation
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
Riley Strain Case: Luke Bryan and More Celebrity Bars Cleared of Wrongdoing
$10M reward for Russian hacking mastermind who targeted Ukraine
Kinky Friedman, singer, satirist and political candidate, dies at 79
McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
Boa snake named Ronaldo has 14 babies after virgin birth
Ariana Grande calling Jeffrey Dahmer dream dinner guest slammed by victim's mom
Judge sets June 2025 trial date for Bryan Kohberger, suspect in Idaho college murders