Current:Home > MyBurley Garcia|2 women killed by Elias Huizar were his ex-wife and 17-year-old he had baby with: Police -ProfitLogic
Burley Garcia|2 women killed by Elias Huizar were his ex-wife and 17-year-old he had baby with: Police
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 09:32:57
Police have Burley Garciaidentified the two women allegedly killed by a former Washington police officer who set off an Amber Alert this week after fleeing with his 1-year-old son across state lines.
Elias Huizar, a former Yakima, Washington police officer, shot himself in the head at the end of the pursuit on I-5 in Oregon. The child, identified as 1-year-old Roman Santos, was found in the back seat unharmed and was taken safely into police custody.
In a press conference held Wednesday, the West Richland Police Department identified the two women who were killed as Amber Rodriguez, Huizar's ex-wife, who investigators believe he fatally shot outside of the elementary school where she taught before fleeing from officers, and Angelica Santos, his 17-year-old girlfriend and Roman's mother.
Huizar has been charged with Rodriguez's death. Police said Santos' death remains under investigation, pending an autopsy.
The motive, timeline of the deaths and the investigation into the case continues, West Richland Police Chief Thomas Grego said in a press conference.
Huizar, 39, met Santos when he was a school resource officer at her middle school, where he was accused of raping and impregnating her, police said.
Deputy killed:Pickup truck hits and kills longtime Texas deputy helping at crash site
Elias Huizar previously issued no-contact order, court docs state
Court documents filed in Benton County Superior Court in Washington said Huizar appeared in court on Feb. 15 and entered a not guilty plea on charges he had allegedly sexually assaulted a teenager while she was sleeping in his home, according to NBC News. Another teenager had reportedly witnessed the incident, according to NBC.
Huizar was released after posting a $200,000 bond, according to reporting in the Tri-City Herald. The article, citing court documents, said police started investigating the incident after Huizar's "17-year-old girlfriend, their 9-month-old son and her teenage friend" approached Benton County Sheriff's Office deputies on Feb. 3.
No-contact orders were issued for the victims in the case and Huizer was ordered not to go within 1,000 feet of their schools, homes or workplaces, a ruling that could have prevented Huizar from seeing his own child, according to the report, which cited statements made by a prosecuting attorney during a February court hearing.
veryGood! (924)
Related
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Hurricane Beryl is a historic storm. Here's why.
- Already not seeking another term, North Carolina Sen. Perry resigns from chamber
- Hurricane Beryl rips through open waters after devastating the southeast Caribbean
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- US to pay for flights to help Panama remove migrants who may be heading north
- US job openings rise to 8.1 million despite higher interest rates
- AI is learning from what you said on Reddit, Stack Overflow or Facebook. Are you OK with that?
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Prosecutor won’t oppose Trump sentencing delay in hush money case after high court immunity ruling
Ranking
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Vanna White pays tribute to look-alike daughter Gigi Santo Pietro with birthday throwback
- Mom accused of throwing newborn baby out second-story window charged with homicide
- Keith Roaring Kitty Gill buys $245 million stake in Chewy
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Arthur Crudup: What to know about the bluesman who wrote Elvis’s first hit and barely got paid
- Former Moelis banker seen punching woman is arrested on assault charges
- New grand jury transcripts released in Jeffrey Epstein case reveal prosecutors knew about accusations against him
Recommendation
Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
Powerball winning numbers for July 1 drawing: Jackpot rises to $138 million
Gun policy debate now includes retail tracking codes in California
Rainbow Family still searching for Northern California meeting site for '10,000 hippies'
How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
Hearing set to determine if a Missouri death row inmate is innocent. His execution is a month later
Biden administration proposes rule to protect workers from extreme heat
US eliminated from Copa America with 1-0 loss to Uruguay, increasing pressure to fire Berhalter