Current:Home > Scams'One Chip Challenge' led to the death of teen Harris Wolobah, state official says -ProfitLogic
'One Chip Challenge' led to the death of teen Harris Wolobah, state official says
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-07 06:59:22
Massachusetts officials said a teen's death last year was due to his participation in the viral One Chip Challenge.Fourteen-year-old Harris Wolobah's death, was in part, a result of the chip's spice, according to the Massachusetts Executive Office of Public Safety.
On Sept. 1, Harris was found unresponsive by police after eating a corn chip dusted in Carolina Reaper pepper and Naga Viper pepper, as part of a social media "One Chip Challenge" created by the company Paqui. Wolobah died at a hospital later that day.
The Massachusetts Executive Office of Public Safety told USA TODAY on Thursday that Wolobah's death was caused by a heart attack brought on by eating the hot chip. The 10th grader also had a condition that caused him to have an enlarged heart, as well as a heart defect where an artery goes through the heart's muscle instead of lying on the surface of the heart.
Harris' "cardiopulmonary arrest" happened "in the setting of recent ingestion of food substance with high capsaicin concentration," OCME spokesperson Elaine Driscoll told USA TODAY.
Capsaicin is another word for chili pepper extract.
A spokesperson at chip company Paqui told USA TODAY the One Chip Challenge was labeled meant for adults only.
“We were and remain deeply saddened by the death of Harris Wolobah and extend our condolences to his family and friends," spokesperson Kim Metcalfe said. "Paqui’s One Chip Challenge was intended for adults only, with clear and prominent labeling highlighting that the product was not for children or anyone sensitive to spicy foods or with underlying health conditions."
UNEXPECTED DEATH'We lost a rising star': Teen dies after One Chip Challenge
What was the Paqui One Chip Challenge?
In 2023, the chip brand Paqui was advertising its "One Chip Challenge," in which consumers try to eat an entire tortilla chip coated with flakes from the extremely spicy Carolina Reaper pepper and Naga Viper pepper.
After Harris' death in September, the chip company worked with retailers to remove the hot chips from store shelves, and the challenge was discontinued, Metcalfe said.
In social media posts that predated the teen's death, users dared one another to try to eat the chip and to see how long they can keep from eating or drinking anything else afterwards.
In 2023, the chip company's homepage included a label warning that said the following:
- The chip is for adult consumption only and should be kept "out of reach of children."
- People sensitive to spicy foods or who are allergic to "peppers, night shades or capsaicin" should not eat the chip.
- The chip is not for pregnant people.
- The chip should not be consumed by anyone who has a medical condition.
On Thursday, Metcalfe said the product adheres to food safety standards, and that last year, despite the warnings, the company "saw increased reports of teens and other individuals not heeding these warnings."
veryGood! (51)
Related
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Texas man sentenced 2 years in prison for threatening Georgia election workers after 2020 election
- At COP28, the United States Will Stress an End to Fossil Emissions, Not Fuels
- Proof Travis Kelce's Mom Donna Kelce Is Saying Yes Instead of No to Taylor Swift
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- 'Sex and the City' star Cynthia Nixon goes on hunger strike to call for cease-fire in Gaza
- Death of Henry Kissinger met with polarized reaction around the world
- At COP28, the United States Will Stress an End to Fossil Emissions, Not Fuels
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway says Haslams offered bribes to inflate Pilot truck stops earnings
Ranking
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Barcelona may need water shipped in during a record drought in northeast Spain, authorities say
- Check your child’s iPhone for this new feature: The warning police are issuing to parents
- From tapas in Vegas to Korean BBQ in Charleston, see Yelp's 25 hottest new restaurants
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Kraft introduces new mac and cheese option without the cheese
- Poland’s new parliament brings back state financing for in vitro fertilization
- What to know about the COP28 climate summit: Who's going, who's not, and will it make a difference for the planet?
Recommendation
$73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
What to know about Joe West, who is on Baseball Hall of Fame’s Contemporary Era ballot
Proposed NewRange copper-nickel mine in Minnesota suffers fresh setback on top of years of delays
Proof Travis Kelce's Mom Donna Kelce Is Saying Yes Instead of No to Taylor Swift
Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
Ukraine spy chief's wife undergoes treatment for suspected poisoning
Hearing in Minnesota will determine if man imprisoned for murder was wrongfully convicted
Eiffel Tower came to LA to hype 2024 Paris Olympics. Here's how