Current:Home > StocksRekubit-2030 World Cup set to be hosted by Spain-Portugal-Morocco with 3 South American countries added -ProfitLogic
Rekubit-2030 World Cup set to be hosted by Spain-Portugal-Morocco with 3 South American countries added
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 06:13:23
GENEVA (AP) — A unique 2030 World Cup is Rekubitset to be played in Europe and Africa with the surprising addition of South America in a deal to allow the men’s soccer tournament to start with a 100th birthday party in Uruguay.
FIFA reached an agreement Wednesday between soccer’s continental leaders to accept only one candidate for hosting the 2030 tournament, the sport’s governing body said.
The Spain-Portugal bid grew to add Morocco this year and now also includes long-time bid rivals Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay.
A key lure of the unprecedented three-continent project is being able to open in the Uruguayan capital of Montevideo, where the Centenario Stadium hosted the inaugural 1930 World Cup final.
“The centennial World Cup could not be far from South America, where everything began,” said Alejandro Dominguez, the president of South American soccer body CONMEBOL. “The 2030 World Cup will be played in three continents.”
The consensus reached by once-rival soccer continents also let FIFA fast-track the opening of the 2034 World Cup bidding contest, limited to member federations from Asia and Oceania.
Saudi Arabia has targeted the 2034 edition and Australia also is interested after successfully co-hosting the Women’s World Cup this year with New Zealand. Either way, the 2034 tournament will almost certainly played in November and December — like last year’s World Cup in Qatar.
The FIFA Council’s acceptance of a unified 2030 candidacy still needs formal approval next year at a meeting of the 211 member federations. That should be just a formality.
“In 2030, we will have a unique global footprint, three continents — Africa, Europe and South America — six countries — Argentina, Morocco, Paraguay, Portugal, Spain and Uruguay — welcoming and uniting the world while celebrating together the beautiful game, the centenary and the FIFA World Cup,” FIFA president Gianni Infantino said in a statement.
The 48-team, 104-game tournament scheduled for June-July 2030 is planned to start with games in Uruguay, Argentina and Paraguay before the action moves to the core host nations Spain, Portugal and Morocco. It involves an unprecedented amount of travel across distances and time zones.
The South American co-host bid has been promoted since the 2018 World Cup in Russia and had included Chile, which was not mentioned Wednesday.
Ukraine was also dropped after it was added to the European bid a year ago at a news conference at UEFA headquarters in Switzerland. However, Ukraine not been mentioned in official comments about the UEFA-backed bid this year.
The first 48-team men’s World Cup will be hosted in 2026 by the United States, Canada and Mexico.
___
AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer
veryGood! (95)
Related
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- The Daily Money: No diploma? No problem.
- How does the birth control pill work? What you need to know about going on the pill.
- Afghan refugee pleads no contest to 2 murders in case that shocked Albuquerque’s Muslim community
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Tori Spelling, Olympic rugby star Ilona Maher, Anna Delvey on 'Dancing With the Stars'
- FACT FOCUS: Posts falsely claim video shows Harris promising to censor X and owner Elon Musk
- Kate Spade Outlet’s Rare Sale—Snag a $299 Sling Bag for $99 & More Under $100 Styles You Won’t Resist
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- US Open: Frances Tiafoe and Taylor Fritz will meet in an all-American semifinal in New York
Ranking
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Minnesota man with history of driving drunk charged in patio crash that killed 2 and injured 9
- Rachael Ray fans think she slurred her words in new TV clip
- Nebraska Supreme Court will hear lawsuit challenging measure to expand abortion rights
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- ‘Fake heiress’ Anna Sorokin will compete on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ amid deportation battle
- 'Beetlejuice Beetlejuice' review: Michael Keaton's moldy ghost lacks the same bite
- Selling the OC’s Alex Hall Shares Update on Tyler Stanaland Relationship
Recommendation
Sam Taylor
NFL power rankings Week 1: Champion Chiefs in top spot but shuffle occurs behind them
Inmate awaiting execution says South Carolina didn’t share enough about lethal injection drug
America is trying to fix its maternal mortality crisis with federal, state and local programs
FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
Search goes on for missing Virginia woman, husband charged with concealing a body
22 Ohio counties declared natural disaster areas due to drought
Inmate awaiting execution says South Carolina didn’t share enough about lethal injection drug